Thursday, April 21, 2011

Does your outfit make sense?

Recently, I was at a casual function when I was approached by a young lady in a striped navy and white cotton tank, gray faded skinny jeans, and suede taupe round toe wedges. Huh? I get the tank and jeans, it's casual, but suede wedges? You make no sense. And, you topped it off with plastic faux pearl kiddie jewels in yellow and on stretch cord. I can't handle it. It makes me want to push you down and roll you under a table. Not to hurt you, but to get rid of you and your ensemble.
I understand quirky. I love quirky, oddity, and individualism to a point. But, it's a clearly defined point that is summed up by saying no ridiculousness...please.
I got this book called What to Wear When by Hillary Kerr and Katherine Power. It was a gift with a purchase from their shoe line on JustFab.com. The beautiful Ms. Parker. And, it took my current fashion faux pas annoyance up another 10K levels. This book exists because it's frighteningly relevant. Because, for whatever reason people have a difficult time piecing together a sensible outfit. It's time to fix that once and for all!
Ask yourself some key questions as you make wardrobe decisions. This will help you make appropriate choices.
1. Where are you going?
2. Is this an indoor or outdoor function?
3. Is there a stated or implied dress code?
4. What time of year is it?
5. What's the weather like?
6. What are your responsibilities?
7. Who's going to be there?
8. Do these pieces make a sensible outfit?
I run these questions through my head at every wardrobe change, with the weather channel blaring in the background.
Fashion is not easy. It is intentional. Proceed with caution.

No comments:

Post a Comment