Sunday, January 17, 2010

Why did you purchase that?

My problem with shopping is that I'm between sizes. I won't share what those sizes are, but I am. So of course I don't follow my own rules. When I shop, I go down to the smaller of the two sizes. I should purchase large and tailor, but I can't always push myself to do the right thing. It's near impossible to get me to buy anything larger than I am. I'm busting my tail to lose weight. Go up a size? I don't think so. Anyway staying on target, this very moment I have three items riding around in my car that need to go to the tailor. I even pass the tailor a few times a week, at least, but I never feel I have the time to go in and get pinned. So I push myself to drop a few pounds to get into the smaller size, and it usually works for me. But this isn't a big stretch. I'm not buying a few sizes too small. I'm purchasing a size one inch smaller. I could even fix this with a Spanx. It's not a good idea though. You should do just as the wise Stacy London and Clint Kelly say, on TLC's What Not To Wear, dress for the size you are now.


I poke fun at my mom and my aunt often about their purchases. Why did they purchase that...whatever, I tease that it's because it's on sale. It's tempting to buy because it's now 75% off, but if it's not worth that discounted price in your life you wasted your money. So you scored a great deal on those jeans, but they're slightly tapered, high waisted, and too light. You just did yourself a injustice while you saved money. Plus, you turn around and donate or sell at a lose in a yard sale. You just cost yourself money while you saved money. Be careful that your great buy really is a great buy for your body, style, and wardrobe.


It's so pretty. I had to have it. Now with shoes, I should be slapped. I love a pretty shoe! I love, love, and love a pretty shoe! But, shoe designers do not love my wide feet. I often purchase shoes that I know are too tight because they are so pretty. Then I just own them, but never wear them, or I occasionally wear them with tears in my eyes. I know people that do this for everything in their wardrobe. They buy the wrong tunic, blouse, dress, or jacket because it's pretty. They squeeze into skinny jeans knowing they are unflattering on their shape. I appreciate beautiful clothes and fun trends. Hell, I obsess about bikinis and formal gowns every year and whatever trendy thing young Hollywood is sporting, but they don't always belong in my life. They usually don't belong in my life actually, but it's still okay to love these things. It's okay to love clothes. It's even okay to have a healthy obsession with clothes. But remember, you don't have to own, or wear, every pretty thing you see. Buy, and wear, what works on your body and in your life. I'll take that into consideration with shoes. Naw, I just need to find something to stretch these new platform pumps out from a M to a W.

No comments:

Post a Comment