Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Seasonal best

Can we be seasonal and weather appropriate? I ask this as I sit at my desk, in December, wearing flip flops. Hypocritical hypocrite, I know. But (excuse is) it's raining, not that cold today, and I have a pedicure appointment after work. Oh, and today's a short day with a skeletal staff. Usually, I stay weather and seasonally appropriate though.

My advice is STOP wearing sandals in the winter and knee high boots in the summer. PLEASE consider your sleeve lengths, fabric weights, graphics on your t-shirts, and footwear. You look crazy when you don't.

I walked into the office this morning and the receptionist asked, slightly judgemental, "you're wearing flip flops?" I understood her tone. I would have used the same tone on anyone else. I explained myself. Plus, I have closed toe wedges in my WAY oversized handbag.

It's shocking to see someone dressed drastically against the weather. It's inappropriate, unprofessional, and distracting. Don't believe me? Go far left seasonally and see how many people make fun of you or, at the least, look at you like you're a dumb ass.

Because the economy's garbage and, financially speaking, I'm strained, I purchase many transitional pieces. I love cotton! I thank God for cotton. It is the most versatile fabric. I have so many cotton tops, tunics, tanks, sweaters, and blouses. I can wear them separately, layer then, or whatever my creativity calls for.

I also adore scarves. I'm big on accessories, says the jewelry designer. I wear my t-shirts and viscose scarves from September or October through May.

Denim is another! This falls in with cotton, but it deserves it's own praise. Any, no most, denim can transition all, or most, seasons and weather. I live in my Gap denim jacket, jeans in 50 zillion different styles, and it's fun to play up or down a denim skirt. Timeless or classic are an understatement for the fabulousness of denim, done correctly.

Another transitional staple is the ballet flat. Wear them in any season and during any weather. It's not fool proof, but hard to mess this one up.

And, jewels are always perfect. Buy a solid white tank and solid or minimal print long sleeve t-shirt and a 3/4 sleeve tee. Then accessorize then into an outfit. Great jewelry will always out last clothing. Great jewelry is more durable, more versatile, and transitions between trends easier. Invest big in jewels, as big as you can says the jewelry designer. Let it carry your outfit every season in all types of weather.

http://blaisedenvy.com/

So when you're standing before your wardrobe preparing to dress, remember to take a cue from Mother Nature and be seasonally and weather appropriate!

No comments:

Post a Comment